Senior Strategic Planner – Sport
(SENIOR) STRATEGIC PLANNER, SPORT About the role If you’re a strategist or senior strategist who works in or loves their sport, we’d love to hear from you!
We’re looking for a mid-weight/senior Strategic Planner (depending on experience) to join the Strategy & Insight (S&I) team. Reporting to the Associate Director, S&I, you will lead the strategic charge across multiple sport-related client accounts ensuring clear strategy and actionable insight are at the heart of everything we do. This role is partly client-facing. You will also work across occasional new business pitches and support the development of agency thought leadership.
- You’ll be joining a motivated, award-winning, fearless group of people looking to challenge conventional ways of thinking and doing in the industry
- You’ll be responsible for mid-level strategy, insight and effectiveness. For example, you will be part of the team developing the big idea, and would then guardian the strategy from idea to execution, working with creative and channel teams on content strategy, influencer selection, integrated comms planning etc.
- You’ll be responsible for discovering the truths that inform our thinking across human, cultural, brand and partnership/sponsorship insights, leading on or supporting the development of strategy where appropriate
- You will lead on the research, analysis, and presentation of our proprietary research, which currently explores the psychology of sports fans, and keep track of key trends in sport sponsorship and sport marketing
- You’ll work across a range of projects with established consumer brands operating within the worlds of sport, music and entertainment (with a focus on sport)
- You’ll play a fundamental role in our agency growth journey, with the opportunity to shape the way things are done
- You’ll be just as happy taking a leading role on projects, working effectively within a matrix structure of creatives, account teams, and channel experts, as you are rolling your sleeves up and getting into the nitty gritty of reporting and dashboards
- You’ll manage our ‘Back up Toolkit’ made up of agency frameworks, methods and models, supported by subscriptions, third party suppliers, specialist freelancers and other evidence sources, with a proactive approach to meeting new suppliers and evaluating whether we have the right tools for our needs
- You’ll spend time reading and researching consumer neuroscience and psychology to get under the skin of what makes people tick, finding the killer insight and findings into our briefs, creative work and agency thought leadership
Essential skills, knowledge and experience we are looking for
- Experience working in an integrated communications capacity and channel-agnostic approach
- Ideally, you’ll have experience in sport sponsorship and partnerships (including assessment, valuation, strategy, selection and recommendations, KPI setting, and benchmarking etc.) but if you don’t, you’ll have a demonstrable natural passion for brand partnerships within the world of sport.
- Strategic thinking
- Able to develop an insight or framework for thinking that becomes fundamental to a clients’ business and worldview
- Able to develop and nurture an insight-led brief that guides and inspires the creation of new ideas
- Experience of comms planning and creative strategy across paid, owned and earned channels
- Able to keep a team of senior management, creatives, project managers, client leads, and channel experts focused, on-task and excited about their role in developing a fearless idea
- Comfortable working across (and with) a variety of clients, people, projects and briefs
- Insight development
- Creative and resourceful about where you pull data and intel from, able to cross reference multiple sources to solve problems and make robust recommendations
- Experience using creative planning tools e.g. TGI, Brandwatch, Sysomos, and survey tools e.g. Survey Monkey, Qualtrics
- Focus on measurement and effectiveness
- An understanding of what works and why in terms of the importance of growing brands people love
- Sharp analytical skills with the ability to translate data and intel into actionable insights that adds value to the overarching strategy and creative briefs
- Able to pool multiple data sources together to review the effectiveness of creative work across multiple channels, to form recommendations that feed back into the next brief
- Experienced in all aspects of developing quantitative and qualitative research
- Up to date with latest research techniques and demonstrable commitment to ongoing learning
- Skilled in the Microsoft Office suite, advanced in Excel (e.g. formulae, pivot tables, VBA not required)
- Proactively develop new frameworks and processes that encourage evidence-led thinking and become the new standard for everyone around you
- Collaborative and team-focused approach to service delivery and the development of the agency growth plan
- Able to achieve a winning outcome in an agile and entrepreneurial environment – willing to stretch beyond your role when needed to achieve the best end result
- Committed to building and maintaining an open and authentic relationship with the client that extends beyond the day-to-day delivery of work
Nice to haves
- Experience or passion for working in a start-up agency environment
- A natural interest in basic psychology and/or consumer neuroscience
- Experience developing insight reports for rights holders and brand clients
- Experience researching or developing fan insight in sport, music and/or entertainment
- Experience in influencer selection, valuation and effectiveness
- European/foreign languages
The kind of person we are looking for
- Authentic – You know how to read the room and develop trusted relationships within the agency and clients. You’re a strong presenter and can bring people around to your way of thinking
- Bold – You’re a considered risk taker, you don’t shy away from the truth, and you are keen to leverage strategy and insight to help inspire and underpin bold, fearless creative ideas
- Collaborative – You’re a team player, fun to work with, and you want to bring the best out of everyone in the team as well as yourself. You are clear on the value Strategy & Insight can bring to the process and how to make your contribution tangible.
- Diligent – Organised, diligent and trustworthy, you are able to evaluate complex data and findings for validity, significance and implications. As a senior figure in the agency, you have an eye for detail and making sure we are on course to answering the clients brief.
- Entrepreneurial – You are confident and proactive with drive, energy and passion, able to spot and develop opportunities for clients and the agency. You are comfortable networking and building relationships at industry talks and events, and know how to leverage our agency Thought Leadership, intel and proprietary research to nurture and add value to develop new relationships with brands and rights holders.
What’s in it for you?
We offer a competitive salary and variety of innovative benefits based on experience plus discretionary bonus tied to business results.
We offer a stimulating and progressive career with a commitment to train and develop each team member so they remain constantly challenged and inspired to be as fearless as they can be.
- 22-days holiday, plus Bank Holidays and 3 extra days off over Christmas
· Birthday day off (in addition to above holiday entitlement)
- Each year accrues one extra day’s holiday up to a maximum of 30 days (inclusive of the Christmas period)
- Discretionary annual bonus based on personal and company performance
- Auto-enrolment contributory pension
Other benefits activated after successful probationary period:
- PerkBox membership
- Fearless Fund to pay for you to do something or learn a new skill that pushes you out of your comfort zone
- Sizable professional training budget (and extra for group training)
- Discounted gym subscription
- Flexible working policies
- Minimum 1-2 agency conferences / trips away (UK and/or international) to build a genuine sense of fearless culture and team bonding
- Mentoring programme
- 3-month unpaid sabbatical after 5 years continuous service with guaranteed job at the end
- Weekly ‘Ideas and Inspiration’ all-agency get together with breakfast
- Weekly Friday bar at our in-house bar
- Summer Fridays – early leave during the summer months (21st June-31st August)