Director – Sports and Entertainment
Director – Sports and Entertainment
Must have agency experience and a passion for sport
Our client is one of the leading sports communications teams in London. The experience of the 20 strong team spans communications strategy and implementation for both sports brands and other brands engaging with sport, strategic sponsorship consultancy, brand strategy, influencer marketing, social and digital strategy, product launches, events, crisis management and corporate reputation as well as creativity, design and content production.
Key clients currently include HSBC, adidas, P&G/Gillette, Wanda, the British Olympic Association, Facebook/Oculus and Activision.
The Practice is strong and a core part of London but needs focus and a fresh eye to face the opportunities and challenges of the next few years and to drive growth.
Our aim is to recruit a strong leader, with experience of the sports sector, who will focus on developing the London team in collaboration with other sports teams across the global network. We do not intend for this to be a global role, but rather a role that will collaborate globally and reinforce and grow London as a key if not the key hub in our global sports franchise.
We are also keen that this role enables our Sports Practice to work much more closely with our Technology, Media and Entertainment clients inside London, leveraging the work around sports and partnership marketing and integrating strategy and new product development for the benefit of all of our clients inside our agency. The aim is that this group of practices becomes a core hub which can market itself as separate teams and centres of excellence but also as an integrated offer working for the benefit of the business as a whole. This is a key area of future growth for the company, an area of investment and focus and one with a varied and diverse set of potential new clients.
The specific role is to help grow the existing £2.5m sports practice, servicing both UK and global clients, expanding the sector in terms of revenue and profit and service offers and developing a high-performance team that is both outward looking into the market but as important outward looking into other practices inside the agency and into the global network.
The successful candidate will have held a senior leadership position within an agency (ideally), a sports organisation or body or a leading sports brand.
This person will need to demonstrate:
- A proven record of winning new business and in leading, managing and growing a profitable portfolio of clients, with experience in running and creating cross-discipline, multi-stakeholder campaigns
- A passion and detailed knowledge of the sports sector, with proven contacts in this area
- A strong track record of developing and nurturing successful senior level client relationships
- Outstanding leadership capabilities with exceptional people management and development
- Can demonstrate creativity, boldness and a willingness to collaborate
- Lead the practice as a trusted adviser at C-suite level, providing senior level strategic counsel and insight, guidance and creativity to meet client requirements
- Lead client teams and expand revenue channels, growing existing client business into new areas
- Champion the importance of client satisfaction and service within the team, leading by example and encouraging positive client relationship building behaviour and ensuring flawless execution of day-to-day client work
- Oversee and support the growth and development of the account teams to ensure operational competence and quality control
- Continuously focus efforts on developing and enhancing the skills and capabilities of the team
- Act as a team coach, mentor and motivator to the team, creating a high-performance culture and encouraging and demonstrating collaborative working practices
- Goal setting and performance management, including career development plans and pro-actively managing staff performance issues
- Prepare strategic business plans to deliver sustainable revenue and profit growth
- Plan and drive new business growth on client accounts and take leadership responsibility for new business development, a dynamic pipeline and acquisition of new clients
- Work with the MD to help define the sector expertise and offer that fulfils the corporate ambition to be “the deepest and broadest” agency in London
- Responsibility for the UK sports P+L, with a fee income of £2.5m+
- Monitor client budgets, management accounts and over-servicing reports and take pro-active steps to meet key targets and ensure team profitability.